Saturday, April 16, 2005

Waiting

I applied for a job the other day and yesterday had an interview. It went very well and they all but offered it to me. Now I just have to wait for them to call my last job and check my references. I am sooooo nervous. I don't see any reason for the last job to say anything bad. I always did my best and left on good terms. This new place is very nice, a clothing store (I considered the Michaels nearby but the pay stunk LOL) and the people are just lovely. What is truly sick is while I am sitting there, I look at the lockers, where the workers put their stuff, and calculate which of my knitting bags will fit in the locker. Now if that's not one for the Yarn Harlot's book I don't know what is. (if you don't have this gem yet go buy it now!)

I measured Aibhlinn last night again and it's got about 6 inches to go! I am so excited. I think if I push I can finish it this week, but more likely next. I still have some Children in Common socks I want to get out before the week is done. This is a very worthwhile organization I really urge you all to check out. They are always looking for knitted items even in between trips like the one they are a just about to make. Please consider making a donation.

I am biting the bullet and ordering 16 skeins of Wool of the Andes from Knit Picks this weekend. At Rebecca's suggestion (why didn't I think of this) I looked through the catalog and found a sweater I thought would fit me and went with that recommendation. The thing with the Knitter's Handy Book of Patterns is that they assume you already have the yarn and you are looking for a pattern. There is another companion thing that has suggested amounts of yarn for various projects that I am now getting as well. I really do love this book and I am even getting the one the same author has for sweaters. I suggest it to everyone, as I use it for small things all the time, it's wonderful. You can just take a gauge swatch, go to the book, look up let's say, mittens under your gauge and viola a pattern. So the Knit Picks order is going to be the yarn, the Knitter's Handy Book of Sweater Patterns, The Knitter's Handy Guide to Yarn Requirements, and a book called Cable Needle Freedom that teaches you to do cables without the cable needle. I was able to do all of this, (plus a ball winder from another source) because I sold a pile of books on Amazon and magazines on eBay. Lesson? Go to your shelf and see what you have that you don't use. Maybe you've got some gems on there. I had a couple of Alice Staremore's that were simply never going to be used and I sold them for a lot of cash, it was worth it for what I got. Amazon will take a commission but they take the headache too.

A photo of Aibhlinn follows the post.

No comments: