Sunday, April 10, 2005

Charity Work and More about Autism

I haven't been able to get much knitting done the last few days. We've been having a new roof put on the house and the contractor has been driving me nuts. He's been doing a decent job, but the guy is a character and things keep happening. I was able to finish my second pair of Children in Common socks and start on a third. These little worsted weight socks go so fast it's wonderful. I hope to get half a dozen pairs done in total if not more. I was hoping to get a hat done for Afghans for Afghans as well, but don't think I'll be able to work that in for this collection. Perhaps for next time. Can you tell I am a dedicated charity knitter? It really gives me a good feeling to do it. I do it all during the year, but a couple of times a year I push everything aside and just do charity knitting and little else. Please consider doing some charity knitting yourself. You will not regret the decision. I've put in some links for charities I support on the blog, check them out.

April is autism awareness month. Did you know that Autism is more common than childhood cancer, cysitic fibrosis, and multiple sclerosis combined? 1 in 250 babies will eventually develop some form of it. On the sidebar you will see a link for NAAR the National Alliance for Autism Research. A wonderful group that raises money for scientific research into this puzzling condition. NAAR runs Walk-a-Thons in many local area around the nation. Please consider lending one of them your support if you hear of it. I'll be mentioning more about autism all month. As the mother of a child with high functioning Autism, (my 14 year old son) this is an issue close to my heart.

No comments: