Friday, April 22, 2005

How I Know I'm Obsessed

DS goes to a boarding school for special needs children. When he comes home for a visit I meet him at Penn Station in New York and go home on the Long Island Rail Road. Like any good knitter, I was certainly not going to let all that idle time go by without a project in hand so I took the socks I'm knitting for myself right now along. When I got on the train I discovered, to my horror, that I'd lost one of the needles. I was so upset. Two hours of train time (one each way) with no knitting. What was I going to do? Then I remembered that I'd left the larger needles I'd started the sock with in the bag (I cast on and do some of the leg in a larger needle than the rest of the sock to allow for calf shaping). So I found the end of the second skein, the one that hadn't been started yet, cast on, on the larger needles, and was happily knitting away in minutes. Lucky me the needles I am using come in sets of 5 and I knit in sets of four so I can now go on with sock number one as well. Of course this means I need to get another set of #1 needles so I can do both socks at the same time, but what's another set of needles right? (and lord knows what else by the time I leave the store)

I have good news to report. I am once again among the employed! Yes folks I finally got a job. The second one that I mentioned came through and a good thing as it is for way more money that the first one I went after. I think it will be a lot of fun and I am really looking forward to it. DD is a little upset, but I told her I will most likely still be home in the afternoon, as I will be starting work early in the morning. (the only draw back) Her main concern is being picked up from school the one day a week she is there late for a club. She hates the late bus.

As I said DS is in for a visit as it is Passover. It's so nice to see how well DS is doing. Everyday he grows, gets better, more mature and in control of himself. Having him far away at school is hard, but it's the best thing we have ever done for him. In so far as Passover goes, we don't make too big a deal out of the holiday. DS reacts badly to change and if you observe Passover strictly you have to make a lot of changes. Mostly, we just have a nice dinner on the first two nights, see friends and such. A quiet time to be together. I am being smart, courtesy of DH's aunt. We are getting dinner brought in from a Kosher Deli in the area. We did this last year and the food was fabulous, best of all I didn't have to spend days in the kitchen getting things ready. I still have to make one or two small things but most everything else is done for me. This folks is the way to live, a big family dinner with no fuss at all.

My KnitPicks order came today. I am soooo happy with the yarn I got, although I now realize I should have gotten a little more and will probably have to do the sweater at 5 sts to the inch. I'd rather go for a finer gauge but this will be just fine. I totally love the Knitter's Handy Book of Sweater Patterns, and while the Cable Needle Freedom book is really a booklet, and pricy as a result, it's a fascinating technique and I am a technique whore so it's OK. The yarn is going to be a modified drop shoulder sweater with a rolled crew neck. Simple, as I've not done a sweater in years. Also I want to get to know the yarn. I've not decided if I will just do a plain stockinette stitch or perhaps a seed stitch instead. Most likely I'll keep it plain. For some reason I am nervous about the sweater. DH tells me that if I can do socks I can do a sweater, so do my knitting friends. I guess I will just have to trust myself.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Congrats on the job! That's wonderful. I agree that socks can be addictive. I'm already thinking about the next pair! Good luck with the new job.