Tuesday, October 07, 2008

Rambling Along

I have realized that the shawl I am working on will require more yarn than I have on hand. That's what I get for jumping into this without considering the yardage needed. So I will have to place an order to Knitpicks this week. (twist my arm why don't you :>) Not sure how much I need but I'll over order just in case. Of course the dye lots aren't going to match but that's OK I don't really mind.

But in the truly exciting news the Yarn Harlot is coming to New York to Brooklyn specifically. It's on a day when I don't have to work so I am going to go and see her! Up on Ravelry I was told to show up at least an hour early if I expect to get a seat. So I'm going to get on an early train, eat something in Brooklyn and hightail it over to the bookstore with my knitting. I am considering starting a couple of washcloths so that will most likely be what I bring with me as it's small and lots of people seem to bring washcloths to Yarn Harlot appearances. I could bring a pair of socks but I am not happy with the ones I am working on for myself and have yet to get the hang of the ones on two circulars that I am making for DD.

Tomorrow is Yom Kippur the Day of Atonement when Jews are supposed to fast and consider their actions over the past year, repent of sins, and ask forgivness of others (as well as give forgiveness. In fact if you don't forgive you will not be forgiven) I have long since stopped following the exact rules of the day. I can't fast due to having to take meds that cannot be taken on an empty stomach, and I am not so sure I believe in the sort of God that asks that of us anyway. Buddhism is much more my thing. But we do at the least have a dinner the night it starts. I am supposed to go to work tomorrow but I've already told my manager that I am not coming in and just have to tell my co-worker that as well. Technically I shouldn't work on Thursday either but since I'm not religious I don't really care and have not real problem going in. I have tons to do tomorrow, I am still doing my Meals on Wheels run, and I have to cook dinner (there's a traditional dinner the night the Holiday starts before you fast) for DD, DH and I as well as bake a Challah. I had a lot of success with a recipie that I got off of the King Arthur Flour site. It's a Challah that is stuffed with apples and it's just delicious. Seems funny to focus on food for a holday that involves fasting.

Big news about the sweater that had the mistake in one of the cables. I found the dropped stitch! So if I am careful with a crochet hook I may be able to repair it without frogging. I haven't got a crochet hook that's an appropriate size in the house so I will have to go out to the store and get one. Or maybe I'll just add it to my Knitpicks order. I should have one around for just this sort of repair anyway.

Lately I've been spending time up on Ravelry. Lord, what a time sink that place can be! Last night I sat down at the computer to check on a few threads I'd been following there and before I knew it an hour had gone by. It's like eating peanuts or potato chips once you start it's hard to stop. One thing I haven't done is enter my stash. Frankly I'm embarassed by the amount of crappy acrylic that I have. A while back I asked people where I could get rid of it. You know, a charity or something. Unfortunately, the people I contacted at the charity never responded to my email so I am still stuck with the stuff. I should knit it up into things for donation but a lot of charities ask for wool now because it's so much warmer. I'd almost be willing to just dump the lot of it but that seems extreme (My fiber obsessions must have rubbed off on DH and DD over the years because they were both horrified when I suggested doing that). So I ask you all once again any ideas for getting rid of or using up my stash of junky acrylic?

3 comments:

Megan said...

If you have any masculine colors...my knitting groups are making afghans for veterans at our local VA hospital. It's a national charity called Soldiers Angels (soldiersangels.org) the program is called "Blankets of Gratitude". You make a lap blanket for a veteran that will be spending the holidays at the VA instead of at home. You enclose a holiday card when you send it.
Anyway, it's how I'm using up my acrylic stash. It's perfect for the red, white and blue variegated Red Heart I bought that I never used.

Eileen said...

Thanks Megan. I'll consider this charity for my stash. I'd never heard of it before and it sounds like a good one.

Lupie said...

How lucky you are to be able to see the yarn harlot!!!!! Have a great time and I can't wait to hear all about it.