DD got her grades and did well on all her exams even the math one which she was very concerned about. She insists that they must have massively curved it but I prefer to think she just did better than she expected. Her best friend got out of the hospital and is doing much better but still has to take it easy. She'll probably not be herself again till the summer is over.
DD continues to knit if only for short bursts. Now she is talking about making her first project, a pair of leg warmers from Sally Melville's Knit stitch book. I have to trade in the yarn for my February Lady sweater. The one I picked, Cascade Pistaza was too fuzzy for my taste and I found it too scratchy as I worked with it. So, I am trading it in for some Cascade 220 which should be in at my LYS tomorrow or Wednesday. In any case, I am going over to the LYS tomorrow to finally work out the problem I have with my aran sweater. I am up to the sleeve and it seems as though two of the cables are merging and I am not sure how to handle it. So Val is going to sit with me and work it through. There is a posibility of holding onto the Pisatza to make a felted bag but I am not sure about that yet. The lace scarf I made for my friend got rave reviews from the crowd at the LYS as did the scarf that I made for DD. Always nice to get that kind of ego boost. I tend to be very critical of my own knitting and getting having other knitters say nice things about it is a treat.
DS was in for a week (hence the lack of blog posts). It was a wonderful visit. He was better than I've ever seen him on a home visit before. He spent most of his visit in the time honored fashion of teen agers, hanging out with his friends, playing video games and sacking out in front of the TV.
I am doing Secret Pal again this round and here is my questionaire:
1. What is/are your favorite yarn/s to knit with? What fibers do you absolutely *not* like?
I suppose my all time favorites are merino and cashmere. I don't like "scratchy" wools or plastic like acrylics.
2. What do you use to store your needles/hooks in?
I have a needle roll and a tin I keep needles in. I could use something for my growing collection of circular needles. I've been switching from straights to circs the last couple of years.
3. How long have you been knitting & how did you learn? Would you consider your skill level to be beginner, intermediate or advanced?
I've been knitting for over 40 years and was taught by a combination of my mother and my brother's girl friend. I consider myself to be a fairly advanced knitter.
4. Do you have an Amazon or other online wish list?
I have an Amazon wish list.
5. What's your favorite scent?
I like woody and spicy scents.
6. Do you have a sweet tooth? Favorite candy?
Unfortunately for my waist line I have a sweet tooth :). My favorite candy is anything that is sour
7. What other crafts or Do-It-Yourself things do you like to do? Do you spin?
I am learning how to spindle spin.
8. What kind of music do you like? Can your computer/stereo play MP3s? (if your buddy wants to make you a CD)
I like alternative, classic rock and jazz I can play MP3's.
9. What's your favorite color(s)? Any colors you just can't stand?
Earth tones are my favorites especially dark green, burnt orange and brown
10. What is your family situation? Do you have any pets?
I am married with two kids who are in their teens, we have a guinea pig
11. Do you wear scarves, hats, mittens or ponchos?
I wear scarves, hats and mittens but not ponchos.
12. What is/are your favorite item/s to knit?
Socks and lace.
13. What are you knitting right now?
A pair of socks, an aran sweater and the February Lady Sweater
14. Do you like to receive handmade gifts?
15. Do you prefer straight or circular needles? Bamboo, aluminum, plastic
Circ's are prefered. I don't care for plastic needles.
16. Do you own a yarn winder and/or swift?
I own both
17. How old is your oldest UFO?
About a year old
18. What is your favorite holiday? What winter holiday do you observe?
My favorite holdays are Passover, Thanksgiving and the Fourth of July. We celebrate Hannukah
19. Is there anything that you collect?
I collect penguins
20. Any books, yarns, needles or patterns out there you are dying to get your hands on? What knitting magazine subscriptions do you have?
I'd love Cookie A's sock knitting book, and want to try Knit Picks Circular needles. I don't subscribe to any of the magazines I prefer to pick them up when one of them has a pattern that I must have.
21. Are there any new techniques you'd like to learn?
Knitting socks from the toe up and knitting socks on two circular needles. I've tried to learn how to do the two circ method and just cannot get my mind wrapped around it.
22. Are you a sock knitter? What are your foot measurements?
Yes I am a sock knitter. 8 1/2 inches around the ball of my foot and also from my heel to the tip of my toe.
23. When is your birthday?
24. Are you on Ravelry? If so, what's your ID?
Yes, you can find me there as Fizbin.