Saturday, June 25, 2005

Homecoming

DS comes home today until July 5th. I'm so excited! It will be nice to have him with us for so long. Especially since he's been having a rough time of it lately. Acting out for reasons neither we or the staff at school can figure out. Hopefully some time at home will get him out of it, that and a few days of non-stop TV. DS loves his cartoons even though he's nearly 15. Part of it is the fact that he's younger than his age due to his autism, part if it is that all autistic kids tend to have an interest area that they focus on kind of obsessively. For DS that happens to be animation. He can tell you exactly who drew Bugs Bunny, who the voice over actors are for Yu-gi-oh (his favorite currently, he collects the cards, though right now we aren't giving him any as they tend to get stolen at school *sigh*), and accurately repeat whole episodes from memory. He has books about animation that he likes to go through as well. DS's other big interest is cooking and wants to do that as a career when he's done with school. He's actually a pretty good cook too!

DD admitted to me the other day that she's been a little depressed lately and that she's been missing DS a lot. She had a good cry about it and I think she's feeling a bit better now. Just like her Dad she tends to keep things bottled up inside herself till she explodes which is just not a good thing. We've been doing a lot of things together, one is something I really recommend to you all. We've been taking out recorded versions of books I loved at her age from the library, and listening to them together. I knit away while the book talks, and she flops on a pillow on the floor. We chat about the book, listen to it, and generally just have time with each other. It's a nice way to share a book with a kid.

My iPod and I have become fast friends. It's nice to have the music and the podcasts to knit to, and I've gotten a lot of knitting done on the infamous socks as a result. No, I've not had a chance to start the Koigu ones I promise faithfully I will start them today. I am just not sure what pattern I want to do them in. I love socks but I've been doing plain ones all along and think I want to use the Koigu to branch out. I got a real nice pattern off the internet just the other day that looks like it might be the right one, but I am going to go through the book of patterns I've been saving to see first. I've been keeping a book of patterns I find in a three ring binder, and have yet to use any of them. Chicken I guess. But I know enough about socks to try them now, and the time has come to do it, so I am going to take the plunge. I also picked up some lovely Regia the other day at my LYS. I'd gone in for something else and it just called to me. What was I going to do? Poor yarn needed a home I couldn't just leave it there all alone.

No comments: