Thursday, May 15, 2008

Another Sweater

Checked out a new (well new to me) LYS yesterday. Knitting on the Lamb is a nice store good stock of yarn and a very friendly owner. I chose to make an oversized Aran sweater made from raw silk yarn. Yes silk. Surprisingly it's not overly expensive at about $7.50 a skein. I don't do too many sweaters and this one will be for me. I'd like to have it done by the time we go on vacation this summer so I can take it along. The yarn is being ordered for me as they didn't have enough at the store. DD will come along when i pick it up so she can pick out some yarn for a pair of socks I plan to make for her. These socks will be done on two circular needles, a technique I've been wanting to learn.

But back to the sweater. I took one skein home, along with an Addi Turbo needle #7 to swatch it with. Unfortunately I didn't hit gauge with this combo and think I have to go down a size to make it. Gauge is 18 stitches to the inch and I'm at 16 to the inch. So I'll try a size six needle next time. The suggested gauge on the ball band was 16 to the inch on number 7 needles so at least I know my tension is reasonable.

The socks formally known as cursed are coming along. I have done the gusset on one and am on the heel flap of the other (had to do some ripping back to fix a counting error). The sweater for DH is up to the armholes on the back. So that's had some good progress too.

No comments: